Sunday, March 18, 2007

iMandarin podcast

I discovered a new podcast recently. The people behind the iMandarin podcast seem to be releasing two a week. I think the podcast is intended to promote their residential training and possibly online training, however the podcast and part transcript with examples is free to download and use.

Many of the podcasts discuss an aspect of Chinese life or culture and there is much discussion after the dialogue about aspects of the language used. Almost all the podcast content is in Chinese.

I like them very much, I can understand most of the content first time through (with some concentration), and most of what I do not understand I can get on repeated listenings. I am just going to use these for a bit as a "busman's holiday" (a slight variation on what you normally do as an alternative to a rest) before I start a serious assault on the Chinesepod advanced lessons.

There are a few improvements that could be made to the podcasts, there is only only presenter, I think the background music could be dropped and they could probably drop most of the little English (sometimes the choice of words to repeat in English is somewhat strange). However this is just looking a "gift horse in the mouth" (being overly critical about something that is free). I think many people who were comfortable with the Intermediate cpod podcasts could gain a lot from listening to these also. And if below that level or wanting some reading practice you can always work with the transcripts.

5 comments:

liulianxiaoyu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
liulianxiaoyu said...

It is a good place to practice Chinese reading. Oh, I did not find any discussion after the dialogue, maybe I need to download them first?

I hope you have a nice day......

Emprendedor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan said...

Chris,
Thanks for posting about this. I have just listened to a couple of these podcasts and find them to be a good supplement to ChinesePod, ChineseLearnOnline,etc. I also wanted to take the time to thank you for all that you've contributed to the community - in your blogs, ChinesePod Forum and elsewhere. I'm nowhere near your level yet but someday I'll get there. It's been quite inspiring and informative to read your posts. I hope you will continue to keep posting on the forums and on your blog when time permits to keep us in the loop!

Unknown said...

Bryan,
Thanks for the kind words, I get as much out of the internet as I put in :). Sometimes I cannot post as much as I would like (too busy learning Chinese ;)).